The 2020 Christmas Octave
at St. Mary's, East Finchley
Historically, since way back in the fourth century, the Catholic Church has observed important feasts with an octave. What is an octave?
From the Latin word, octava, you may know it from the musical world as eight notes. In the liturgical world, an octave comprises the seven days following a feast, and the feast itself, so eight days altogether.
Twenty-four hours, the Church is saying, is simply not enough to rejoice in Christ’s birth, the Word made Flesh, we need more!
So comes the ancient practice of celebrating Christmas for eight wonderful days. The Octave begins on Christmas Day, Nativity of the Lord, and ends on New Year’s Day with the Solemnity of Mary, the Mother of God.
This tradition can be rediscovered this year more than any other due to the pandemic. As the capacity of the church is reduced to 60 and we are unable to fit everyone in for the usual Christmas Masses, please take the opportunity of attending another of the Masses over the Octave. The obligation to attend on Christmas Day is suspended and remember, the Church treats every day during the octave of a feast as if it were the feast itself.
So, we invite you to join our eight day celebration.
Attendance at ALL Masses over the Christmas Octave must be booked in advance.
Please see below for details of how to book.
Reconciliation in Preparation for Christmas
Father Terry will be available to hear confessions for
10 minutes following all weekend Masses
in the run up to Christmas.
In addition, there will be a dedicated hour on
Saturday 19th December 11am-12 noon.
All confessions will be heard in the church, face-to-face with space for privacy and social distance . You must wear a mask.
How to book Mass attendance over the Christmas Octave
• Attendance at ALL Masses over the Octave of Christmas (including Christmas Eve) needs to be booked in advance.
• Please book early to avoid “No room at the inn!”
• Booking will open on Monday 14th December
• Please use this link to book online: http://parish.rcdow.org.uk/finchleyeast/events
• If you know of someone who may wish to attend Masses over this time but is not online please alert them to the need to book and give them the following details:
You may book by phone on 07592 183178.
This is ONLY for those with no internet access.
Calls before 14th December will NOT be valid.
The line will close on Tue 22nd Dec.
• When booking you will need to give your name, contact number and the number of people you are booking for.
• Please only book for your own household (or Christmas bubble!) - not your neighbours and friends.
• When booking online you will see a confirmation window, this unfortunately cannot be printed. Your booking details though, will automatically be entered onto the stewards list as long as you have seen this confirmation screen. If you do not see a booking confirmation window, your booking is not complete so please retry.
Christmas Mass Times
Thursday 24th December
Family Mass 6pm
Mass for Midnight 10pm
Friday 25th December
CHRISTMAS DAY - NATIVITY OF THE LORD
1st DAY IN THE OCTAVE OF CHRISTMAS
Saturday 26th December
BOXING DAY - ST STEPHEN, The First Martyr
2nd DAY IN THE OCTAVE OF CHRISTMAS
Mass 12 noon
N.B. - No Vigil Mass
Sunday 27th December
HOLY FAMILY OF JESUS, MARY & JOSEPH
3rd DAY IN THE OCTAVE OF CHRISTMAS
Monday 28th December
THE HOLY INNOCENTS, Martyrs
4th DAY IN THE OCTAVE OF CHRISTMAS
Mass 12 noon
Tuesday 29th December
ST THOMAS BECKET
5th DAY IN THE OCTAVE OF CHRISTMAS
Wednesday 30th December
6th DAY IN THE OCTAVE OF CHRISTMAS
Mass 12 noon
Thursday 31st December
NEW YEAR’S EVE
7TH DAY IN THE OCTAVE OF CHRISTMAS
Friday 1st January
NEW YEARS DAY
MARY, THE MOTHER OF GOD
8TH DAY IN THE OCTAVE OF CHRISTMAS
New Year’s Day Mass 12 noon
From the 2nd January normal timetable resumes
there will be no need to book